The question that all apartment building owners wanting to do maintenance, arise is;  Do I need a license from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec if I want to do myself or give at contract various maintenance or renovation work?  


This question is quite complex and is often subject to analysis. But the situation to remember in order to be exempted from having a RBQ license is that if you are able to prove that you are the owner, you will be able without license to do the following;

  • Execute or hire employees to perform Schedule III work,
  • To have performed multiple Schedule III work by the same specialized contractor,
  • To have performed electrical work by a licensed electrician and,
  • Perform Schedule II work for a cost of $ 20,000 and less (Electricity work can not be included in the work performed in Schedule II). 

If the work you are required to do is not within the above exemptions, you will need to obtain a General Owner-Builder License or a General Contractor License or have the work performed by a General Contractor, Licentiate of the Régie du bâtiment.

There are often several special situations and conditions related to certain works.  So, if you have any questions to make sure you follow the law, do not hesitate to contact us for more information.


After analyzing the situation on having the right to perform the work for an owner-builder, what to verify now is where will the work be performed? What must NEVER be forgotten in construction in Quebec is that if the work is carried out in the New Residential buildings sector or in the Commercial and Industrial sector, these sectors are (with some exceptions) always subject to competency cards of the CCQ.

So, you may be the owner of a building, but that does not always give you the right to carry out work.

Share this post

error: Protection